Port Alberni, BC : Things to do
Some of the things to do when visiting Port Alberni on Vancouver Island, BC including the surrounding areas of Sproat
Lake and Arrowsmith Mountain. Activities enjoyed include fishing, kayaking, sightseeing, hiking, boating, sailing, birdwatching, beachcombing and water skiing. More information is available under Port Alberni Parks and Trails and/or under Tour and Guide Listings.
recreation, attractions, activities
- Ocean and Lake Fishing: Salmon and halibut fishing in the ocean and trout fishing in the lakes and rivers. Bring your own boat or sign up with one of the many fishing charters and guides in the region. Fishing Lisence is a must in BC, Canada.
- Boat Cruises: For over 60 years the
world renowned, M.V. Lady Rose and the M.V. Frances Barkley
have traveled the West Coast from Port Alberni to Barkley
Sound to Bamfield providing wildlife tours. There are other smaller operators in the region as well.
- Hiking and Walking: There are many recreation hiking trails in the region from casual to difficult. One fo the more popular and easy, family oriented hiking trails in the region is Cathedral Grove. For a full list of parks and trails go to Port Alberni Parks Home Page.
- Attractions: Learn about the history of the region at one of the local attractions or museums like the Alberni Valley Museum. Another option is the MacLean Mill. It is a trip in time to when forestry ruled the land.
- Backpacking: There are a few backpacking adventures in the region involving overnight wilderness camping. Probably the best known backpacking adventure is the Della Falls canoe and backpacking trail leading to Canada's largest waterfall.
- Golfing: There is a 9 and 18 hole golf course in the community.
- Lake Sports: Cameron, Sproat and Great Central Lakes provide many opportunities for water sports in the region. All 3 lakes are large and serviced. Activities enjoyed on the nearby lakes include water skiing, jet skiing, tubing, canoeing, kayaking, fishing, wind surfing, boating and swimming.
- Sea Kayaking: Sea Kayaking in Port Alberni is popular. The community is one of the gateways leading to the Broken Islands - a popular kayaking destination. Closer to home the Alberni Inlet provides many coves, islands and bays to explore.
Nearby Vancouver Island things to do
Qualicum Beach | Parksville < East < Port Alberni > West > Tofino | Ucluelet
Vancouver Island Accommodations is one of
17 travel websites on our British Columbia Travel Planning Network
Explore Canada on the www.CanadaEH.net Travel and Adventure Network
Activities in Port Alberni Valley, BC, eh!
Things to Do
Parks & Trails
More to Explore
How to Get to